From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Social Contract, Council: please fix the mess you cause
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 01:58:09
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
2 (klondike) <klondike@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hi Michał,
4 > El 27/03/18 a las 19:57, Michał Górny escribió:
5 >
6 > From the Merriam Webster dictionary
7 > (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stakeholder):
8 > "one who is involved in or affected by a course of action"
9 >
10 > In this particular case any of the members of the Gentoo Community who are
11 > affected by the Gentoo Social Contract.
12 -------------------------------------------------------
13
14 want to agree that the word "stakeholder" is an appropriate use in
15 this discussion.
16 Francisco points out the most common definition that is used in
17 general conversations
18 and email discussions. Anyone using Gentoo has in interest in the
19 results of this discussion and
20 the potential results of any actions it prompts. We/they are already
21 affected by the results
22 of the decision to limit the participation in the gentoo-dev list.
23
24 In terms of the extended discussions that are not being tossed around
25 in the general
26 flame wars as a result of this action, whoever is "in charge" of the
27 Social Contract
28 should, in my opinion, clean-up and correct the wording, and make it
29 more clearly
30 indicated as to where various sorts of discussions should be directed.
31
32 Personally, I am affected by the "closure" of the gentoo-dev list, in
33 that unless I make
34 a special effort to become "approved" to post or actively participate
35 there I can make
36 not contributions to the development processes for Gentoo. I certainly
37 understand WHY
38 the developers feel a need to cut down or out on the occurrence of
39 inappropriate whining
40 and flaming on the list -- it has been quite a distraction, and more
41 appropriately should
42 have been sent to gentoo-project.lis --.but I am just as disinclined
43 to go through the motions
44 required to get active access to gentoo-dev mailing list, as I am
45 disinclined to jump
46 through the hoops of becoming an "official" developer. It is, in my
47 opinion, just a
48 means for the core power structure to maintain its hold while facing a
49 decline in its
50 influence in the Linux ecosystem.
51
52 However, using technical constraining controls for something that is, in fact, a
53 social problem has historically been shown to not only be ineffective, but also
54 to be directly harmeful in most cases. In this case I feel that
55 historical result from
56 many different projects are being forgotten, and Gentoo has doomed itself to
57 repeating history.
58
59 Despite the reinforcement of Gentoo's core power structure as being controlled
60 by a self-perpetuating and self-defined "developer" group, I will most
61 likely continue
62 to use Gentoo because it is still a distribution that offers the most
63 choice and personal
64 control, for the admin, of features and programs. Too many other
65 distributions have
66 traveled down the road of deciding that users are fools and have to be
67 forced into
68 doing thins "the right way" as defined by the architects of the
69 system.[Ultimate choice,
70 of course, can be obtained using a "Linux From Scratch" sort of approach, but
71 not everyone can do that AND keep up with updates, bug fixes, and
72 security fix-ups.]
73
74 Some may interpret what I write, and obviously think, as a 'hostile'
75 attitude, but that
76 is a projection. I feel no animosity to anyone involved. I just simply
77 don't care to deal
78 with the politics involved to become a 'certified' member. I have
79 better uses for my
80 time and efforts.
83 G.Wolfe Woodbury
84 redwolfe@×××××.com