From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 07:46:01
1 On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 16:36 +0900, Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
2 > > Perhaps the person you talked to don't 'take no for an answer'.
3 > > If the policy works for the majority of people, and there are only few
4 > > who disagree with it (no matter how much they try to exaggerate it),
5 > > and most of those few so far have failed to provide a really good
6 > > argument why they can't do it, then I'm sorry but that's just how things
7 > > work.
8 >
9 > If you have any better data, that is not just a presumption please show us.
10 > saying that the majority of people is contributing in Gentoo, is no
11 > meaning. On how many people you are talking about ? you are taking in
12 > consideration all the Gentoo users?
13
14 I'm talking about the cases I know of, i.e. cases that were explicitly
15 raised, including developers and proxy-maint. If I'm counting
16 correctly, there were less than 10 of them. I'm not going to make
17 a shame list here. If people want to express their opinion, they are
18 free to do so. However, so far it seems that the most people expressing
19 opinions are 'advocates' who have a lot of nameless claims.
20
21 > For me having people quitting Gentoo devs or Gentoo contribution for a
22 > change in GLEP is a big deal, we are already not that many.
23
24 What really matters are users. One person 'quitting Gentoo devs' is
25 a small price to pay for a better chance that our users will not be
26 suddenly hit by a destructive copyright pursuit.
27
28 > I'm certainly against changing the policy on arguments like 'but I want
29 > > to brand myself as X' or 'but you can't prove people are using fake
30 > > identities'. If you really want to push for the latter, I wouldn't mind
31 > > making some form of identity verification obligatory for everyone.
32 > > However, I doubt that's the result you want.
33 >
34 > Happy to ear your personal opinion but not everyone thinks in the same
35 > way as you.
36 > I think the opinion of other people is a valuable opinion whathever they
37 > say.
38
39 This doesn't add anything. Just because other people have other
40 opinions, it doesn't mean their opinions are to be considered higher
41 than mine. Or anyone else.
42
43 > What I think we want, is more people contributing in Gentoo.
44
45 No. What we want, is improvement for the users. Improvement is made by
46 more good activity. Which may or may not involve 'more people
47 contributing'.
48
49 I know it's not cool to value person's contributions but I'm going to be
50 blunt: one person doing a lot of good work is worth more than three
51 contributors who do very little work and a lot of noise about using
52 their pseudonyms.
53
54 And yes, that's my opinion which -- as you have implied -- is not
55 as valuable as the opinions of those few.
58 Best regards,
59 Michał Górny