From: Douglas Anderson <dja@××××××.com>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Improving our people
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:04:54
1 On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 20:30 Tue 20 Jan , Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> It isn't necessarily obvious from a recruiter's interaction with a
4 >> mentor whether he is good at the actual task of mentoring.
5 >
6 > We could take a tip from the Summer of Code and have both mentor and
7 > mentee fill out a quick eval at the end of probation. This would perhaps
8 > be more valuable over a longer probation.
11 The evaluation is a good idea, but it would have to be something maybe
12 only devrel had access to. With the Summer of Code, many students
13 leave the project after they're finished, but with a new dev they're
14 just starting a (hopefully) long relationship with their mentor. I
15 personally would hesitate to point out the weak points of an
16 experienced developer if I were just starting out here. Something to
17 think about...
18
19 -Doug