From: Douglas Anderson <dja@××××××.com>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Improving our people
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:04:54
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
> On 20:30 Tue 20 Jan , Donnie Berkholz wrote: >> It isn't necessarily obvious from a recruiter's interaction with a >> mentor whether he is good at the actual task of mentoring. > > We could take a tip from the Summer of Code and have both mentor and > mentee fill out a quick eval at the end of probation. This would perhaps > be more valuable over a longer probation. >
The evaluation is a good idea, but it would have to be something maybe only devrel had access to. With the Summer of Code, many students leave the project after they're finished, but with a new dev they're just starting a (hopefully) long relationship with their mentor. I personally would hesitate to point out the weak points of an experienced developer if I were just starting out here. Something to think about... -Doug

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-project] Improving our people Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>