From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2020 / 2021 Election - Questions for Candidates
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 03:28:19
1 On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 08:25:15PM +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > Team,
3 >
4 > Its been my impression that this last years council has had a fairly
5 > easy life compared to previous years.
6 >
7 > Some context ...
8 > The council is now 15 years old. Some concepts were worked out
9 > over a few beers at FOSDEM 2005, formalised over the next six
10 > months and the first council met in quarter 4 2005.
11 >
12 > I have memories of the council being set up as a disputes
13 > resolution body, not a leadership body but that was 15 years ago.
14 >
15 > Some questions ...
16 > 1. What do candidates see the councils role as in Gentoo today?
19 I see the council as the technical leadership of the distribution.
20 Mostly, this is when "disputes" must be resolved and our elected council
21 decides on the appropriate course of action. Additonally, they review
22 and decide which proposals (i.e. GLEP's etc) should be implemented or
23 further refined, deliberated, etc. Often, this involves disputes amongst
24 developers over the "correct" way to do things.
25
26 > 2. How do candidates see the role of the Gentoo council
27 > changing in the short term .. say the next few years?
28
29 I don't believe it needs to change.
32 Cheers,
33 Aaron