From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Items for Council Agenda, May 14
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 01:48:22
1 On 13/05/17 10:26, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Thu, 11 May 2017 15:57:52 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> It is a bit of "we will not hide problems" vs "not hiding problems
6 >> actually causes those problems." Suicide by social contract?
7 > As an alternative approach, how easy is it to rewrite emails to inject
8 > footer text?
9 >
10 > Like a bog standard:
11 >
12 > Problem with this email? Don't reply and make it worse.
13 > Explore the alternatives:
14 > http://someurl.gentoo.org/report?ml=gentoo-dev&msgid=12345
15 >
16 > Where the ml/msgid parts are filled in.
17 >
18 > That page can contain a list of options, including making a formal
19 > complaint, but it can also help document and assist people with
20 > avoiding seeing that email in future, including a list of instructions
21 > for specific mail clients, pre-filled with tokens from the email
22 > identified by the msgid.
23 >
24 > The idea is to lower the barrier to reporting your disapproval, or
25 > lowering the barrier to making it so you don't have to see it any more.
26 >
27 > We could, in theory, even extend this service to allow subscribers to
28 > add gentoo-side filtering, wherein gentoo doesn't block the offending
29 > user, but only blocks the relay of matching messages to subscribers who
30 > opted out.
31 >
32 > That way you're not relying on their MUA in any way.
33 >
34 > And that is far less "orwellian" in concept, but still has the desired
35 > effect.
36 >
37 > Give users the power to do what they want, as opposed to isolating
38 > users from everyone because a subset of users didn't like them.
41 This should be trivial to achieve with the mailing list software .. I've
42 seen similar done elsewhere.
43
44 I think having a self-censorship mechanism is much better than a
45 draconian 'thou shalt not....' system, and like other web platforms 'out
46 there', can be quite effective.
47
48 Even if there ends up being an option to 'refer to moderator' I think
49 this is better & easier than requiring such a moderator to 'vet'
50 everything that is posted, or blindly black-/white-listing with no
51 automatic reset mechanism. Diversity and good automation should reduce
52 this problem quite easily.
53
54 MJE