From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2011-12-13
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 22:13:11
Rich Freeman schrieb:
> However, making -v control the output seems like a problem, unless > there is some way to undo this. A typical workflow for me is to run > emerge -auDNv world to see what is going to build, and then hitting > enter to accept it. I want to get the verbose USE info with -a/p, but > I don't really care to see build logs flying across the screen. So, > overloading a single flag to do both sounds problematic unless you > also allow the quiet flag to override it back. That seems complicated > to me.
In the compromise proposal, -v would only set the default for --quiet-build, not override it. But overloading -v is indeed an issue that has already be mentioned by zmedico. What do you think of the following proposal: --verbose-build[=n] --verbose-install[=n] --verbose-use[=n] --verbose-downloadsize[=n] ... with -v setting the default to y for them all, but still allowing to override a particular verbose output with its specific option. Best regards, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn