From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2011-12-13
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 22:13:11
1 Rich Freeman schrieb:
2 > However, making -v control the output seems like a problem, unless
3 > there is some way to undo this. A typical workflow for me is to run
4 > emerge -auDNv world to see what is going to build, and then hitting
5 > enter to accept it. I want to get the verbose USE info with -a/p, but
6 > I don't really care to see build logs flying across the screen. So,
7 > overloading a single flag to do both sounds problematic unless you
8 > also allow the quiet flag to override it back. That seems complicated
9 > to me.
10
11 In the compromise proposal, -v would only set the default for
12 --quiet-build, not override it.
13
14 But overloading -v is indeed an issue that has already be mentioned by
15 zmedico. What do you think of the following proposal:
16 --verbose-build[=n]
17 --verbose-install[=n]
18 --verbose-use[=n]
19 --verbose-downloadsize[=n]
20 ...
21 with -v setting the default to y for them all, but still allowing to
22 override a particular verbose output with its specific option.
25 Best regards,
26 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn