From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 05:30:36
1 On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 14:12 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> The problem here is not if anyone wants an election or not. Personally,
6 > >> I don't want to vote for the council now.
7 > >
8 > > Then don't! Isn't the whole point of a democracy to allow the will of those
9 > > who are represented to triumph? If that will is to not hold an election,
10 > > wouldn't it be undemocratic to ignore it?
11 >
12 > So minimally we would require a vote to determine 'the will of the
13 > represented'. Note that this thread is insufficient to determine that
14 > (there are plenty of devs not participating in this thread).
15
16 What percentage of the developer base, and/or community is required to
17 call about a global vote for Gentoo?
18
19 Also where is there any policy requiring anything to be voted on? In
20 this case, the vote to decide if we should or should not elect a new
21 council. Enforce GLEP 39 clause/rule/policy or not. A vote would be more
22 out of respect, and democracy. Than out of policy or requirement.
25 William L. Thomson Jr.
26 amd64/Java/Trustees
27 Gentoo Foundation