From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 00:40:12
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, at 17:11 CDT, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > [...]
6 I have the feeling that quite a bit of the current heated discussion
7 (about whatever) stems from a perceived lack of "democracy" in our
8 processes.
11 Therefore, I suggest as meeting agenda that the council discusses the
12 introduction of a "general resolution" similarly to the one that Debian
13 has [1]. Debian's version would have to be adapted to Gentoo specifics
14 but in short a possible version could include
15
16 - overruling council (and comrel?) decisions with a 2:1 majority
17 - a vote of no confidence forcing council reelections
18 - accepting/withdrawing/... GLEPs with a 2:1 majority
19
20 A vote could be initiated by
21
22 - the council itself
23 - a sufficient number of developers seconding the motion
24
25 Eligible voters would be Gentoo developers.
28 I am happy to author a first draft proposal GLEP. If this idea finds
29 enough supporters on the developer side and on the council, I suggest to
30 proceed as follows:
31
32 - let council accept the GLEP
33 - initiate a "general resolution" (or however we end up naming the
34 child) asking to support the GLEP formally.
37 I am tired of hearing that my decisions and that of my colleagues on the
38 council would be due to some agenda, sinister behavior or
39 whatever. A "general resolution" would introduce a nice mechanism that
40 would deter loud single voices ("the majority of developers is against
41 this and that") and let just speak the body of developers itself. I
42 suggest we make the bar of initiating such a vote relatively high (but
43 by no means impossible) so that we don't get swamped with too much
44 stuff, though.
45
46 Best,
47 Matthias