From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 00:40:12
On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, at 17:11 CDT, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:

> [...]
I have the feeling that quite a bit of the current heated discussion (about whatever) stems from a perceived lack of "democracy" in our processes. Therefore, I suggest as meeting agenda that the council discusses the introduction of a "general resolution" similarly to the one that Debian has [1]. Debian's version would have to be adapted to Gentoo specifics but in short a possible version could include - overruling council (and comrel?) decisions with a 2:1 majority - a vote of no confidence forcing council reelections - accepting/withdrawing/... GLEPs with a 2:1 majority A vote could be initiated by - the council itself - a sufficient number of developers seconding the motion Eligible voters would be Gentoo developers. I am happy to author a first draft proposal GLEP. If this idea finds enough supporters on the developer side and on the council, I suggest to proceed as follows: - let council accept the GLEP - initiate a "general resolution" (or however we end up naming the child) asking to support the GLEP formally. I am tired of hearing that my decisions and that of my colleagues on the council would be due to some agenda, sinister behavior or whatever. A "general resolution" would introduce a nice mechanism that would deter loud single voices ("the majority of developers is against this and that") and let just speak the body of developers itself. I suggest we make the bar of initiating such a vote relatively high (but by no means impossible) so that we don't get swamped with too much stuff, though. Best, Matthias [1] https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution#item-4