From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Discontinuing the support for GitHub pull requests
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 05:52:26
1 On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 20:40:49 +0100
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3 > I'll go on record as saying that I do agree we should do away with the
4 > quizzes, but that's more because I'm more interested in letting people
5 > learn the subset of quiz knowledge they'll need by leaning on their
6 > intrinsic motivation to get stuff done that benefits Gentoo, rather
7 > than putting up a barrier that has no intrinsic value.
8
9 The quizzes were introduced because a developer who had been brought on
10 to work only on OS X support introduced a global scope mkdir call in
11 an ebuild that was only keyworded for OS X, and thought that that was
12 OK. The problem with having knowledge limited to one area is that you
13 can't tell when what you're doing has broader implications.
16 Ciaran McCreesh