From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Resignation
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 05:49:29
1 Maybe I should have reflected more on the original post before replying
2 too. When I read the original post, it seemed to be a sincere resignation
3 email. Upon further reflection, I do feel that it was unprofessional to
4 call individuals out -- *even if* the account was 100% accurate (which it
5 appears there is some doubt about.)
6
7 If someone had a bad experience as a dev for Gentoo, then fine -- share
8 your experience in the hopes that things will improve. But don't name
9 names. That isn't professional. If you didn't have a good experience, yes,
10 that's legitimate feedback.It provides an opportunity to look at the
11 *project as a whole* and say 'how can we do things better' by improving
12 processes, etc. so that new devs have a better experience. That can be
13 shared without calling individuals out. It is not necessary or helpful to
14 defame people.
15
16 Mgorny was maligned in the post. That wasn't right, and for my part I
17 apologize for 'grabbing the bait' and accepting the original poster's
18 account at face value.
19
20 So, my new, amended response to the original poster: Ugh. I am sincerely
21 sorry you had a bad experience. Critical feedback is welcome. But let's not
22 defame people. Perpetuating hostility towards individuals, even if
23 perceived as being deserved, if anything just makes things worse and
24 undermines your points. And to solve any problems, the solution needs to be
25 geared towards finding ways to improve the project as a whole rather than
26 'punishing' individuals. So we need to get out of that mindset to move
27 forward. An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.
28
29 Sincerely,
30
31 -Daniel