From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Anna <cyber+gentoo@×××××.in>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Encourage donations to Gentoo developers
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 22:51:01
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 5:36 PM Maciej Barć <xgqt@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I've also heard that GF will never touch this because it is against the
4 > foundation's laws, "because Gentoo cannot pay itself"... shrug.
5
6 No such legal/formal restriction exists (the bylaws even have some
7 provisions for employees (we don't have any)), but there are many
8 reasons that this can get messy.
9
10 I personally think it would make way more sense to just make it easy
11 for developers to list some kind of info about how to donate to them,
12 and just leave it all up to individuals.
13
14 Offhand some issues with Gentoo handing out "salaries" or anything
15 close to it are:
16
17 1. There will be endless debates over who gets how much. Some
18 obviously do more than others, and so you either pay everybody the
19 same and hear grumbling about inactive devs, or pay people based on
20 activity and then have grumbling or manipulation of the metrics.
21 2. Gentoo just doesn't bring in that much money in the first place, so
22 it would be a lot of arguing over what probably will end up being $50
23 here and $100 there.
24 3. Now you have a ton of tax overhead, potentially in many
25 jurisdictions. Reimbursing expenses at least in the US isn't taxed,
26 but when you start paying people for contributions you have a bunch of
27 legal issues.
28 4. Then you just have the general volunteer culture. Gentoo currently
29 is an all-volunteer organization, and as such has a certain culture.
30 If you look at FOSS organizations that tend to pay substantial amounts
31 of people you end up with professional management and so on. That
32 isn't necessarily a bad thing but it is a big change.
33
34 It just is an issue that I don't think anybody wants to go near. If
35 people want to donate to their favorite dev I doubt anybody would be
36 bothered. It just doesn't make sense to have the foundation operate
37 as a payment processor when you have lots of companies that offer
38 exactly that service, or things like cryptocurrency if you want to go
39 that route.
42 Rich