From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:47:50
1 On 01/17/2015 04:56 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:43 AM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Wanted to share my thoughts on where I think Gentoo should go, in terms
4 >> of direction. Would love to hear your thoughts.
5 >>
6 >> http://dberkholz.com/2015/01/13/gentoo-needs-focus-to-stay-relevant/
7 >
8 > Interesting post, and I liked bits of the discussion in this thread.
9 >
10 > As a software developer, I really like how easy Gentoo makes it for me
11 > to pull in bits I need for any kind of project I might come up with.
12 > On the other hand, I think we suffer from the competition of
13 > language-specific packaging solutions (e.g. NPM, pip/virtualenv,
14 > RVM/gems). Maybe containerization/Docker will swing this back, though
15 > I don't quite like the direction Docker takes. I'm really looking for
16 > something even more lightweight that would fit in better with Gentoo,
17 > e.g. some solution where I can have a container in which I can use
18 > portage to install stuff, but depend on the @system, from the host
19 > system. Integration between our package management and
20 > containerization feels like it could be very powerful.
21
22 I've had some passing thoughts about this too. I think this may be a
23 special case of what the prefix team calls prefix-chaining [1].
24
25 > Mostly, I worry about our contribution process debt (this term was
26 > recently coined by a guy from the Mozilla community, read
27 > http://gregoryszorc.com/blog/2015/01/09/firefox-contribution-process-debt/
28 > and subsequent posts for background). Given our heavy-weight
29 > recruiting process, and CVS, and the lack of manpower in e.g. infra,
30 > it definitely feels like we have issues here. I think that could
31 > potentially be very important to keep Gentoo alive (and keep a fresh
32 > inflow of new developers going).
33
34 Yeah, anything we can to to reduce the barrier to contributions would be
35 great. Maybe using a github pull-request workflow may help with some
36 aspects of this.
37
38 [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.alt/4821
39 --