From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 20:03:56
On 2019.01.29 17:28, Brian Evans wrote:
> On 1/29/2019 11:54 AM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote: > > On 2019-01-28 23:27, Matt Turner wrote: > >> It's very common to need firmware to use wired or wireless > networking. > >> I would not want to ship installation media without requisite > >> firmware. > > > > I don't think that sys-kernel/linux-firmware would be affected. > > > > But if it would be affected, where's the problem? Just create > > /etc/portage/package.license for that media. > > > > Again, the main motion is for users starting with a fresh stage3 > image. > > Gentoo is about choices. So the only thing which will actually > change is > > an additional prompt because we are raising awareness... > > > > > > This is a barrier for new users. As seen in #gentoo, new users are > often quite confused over the prompt to add static-libs to > sys-apps/util-linux when installing genkernel. They think it is an > error and rush for support to solve it. > > Now the chance that more user issues will occur with licenses will > only > increase. > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources, or any sources for that matter, would have > to > be exempted on each and every install (larger barrier and confusion). > > 75-90% of all users will need to be add sys-firmware/linux-firmware to > package.license so what's the point? Yes, specific configurations can > exist without it, but those are becoming increasingly rare. > > I say instead of changing the default, have more clear documentation > on > how to have users change things to what they want if they choose this > "free as in freedom" mantra. I'd rather have less barriers and more > users. > > Brian > >
After being nagged about ACCEPT_LICENSE a few times, most users will set ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" just for an easy life. They already have a lot to learn and this is the easy answer to this new learning opportunity. The few users that actually care about politically correct free software can be educated in the handbook as to what to set in ACCEPT_LICENSE Leave the default ACCEPT_LICENSE= as is but update the handbook to explain have to set ACCEPT_LICENSE together with a health warning about potential problems. That keeps the majority of users happy. -- Regards, Roy Bamford (Neddyseagoon) a member of elections gentoo-ops forum-mods