From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 14 August 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 00:03:50
1 On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 23:02:04 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 14:55:47 -0700
5 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
6 > > It seems like there's some confusion here. Approving a new EAPI and
7 > > deciding to use a new EAPI in a given profile are two entirely
8 > > different things. If we want to us a new EAPI in a profile, we just
9 > > have to deploy it such that users are only exposed to that profile
10 > > when they consciously running `eselect profile` (and they can always
11 > > revert back to the previous profile if it turns out that their
12 > > installed package manager doesn't support the new profile).
13 >
14 > There's still the issue that we haven't decided what [use] deps do
15 > when they show up in profile files. We were sticking at 1 until we
16 > worked that out.
17
18 Ah, about that. It will be useful if [use] deps in package.mask worked
19 unlike in package.use.mask, thus giving us a tool to temporarily mask
20 packages which are broken only with given flags.
21
22 For example, likely it was potentially useful to do something like:
23
24 # something support with intel broken in this version
25 =media-libs/mesa-N.N.N[someflag,video_cards_intel,!video_cards_radeon,!video_cards_nvidia]
26
27 With meaning: mask mesa-N.N.N if 'someflag' and 'video_cards_intel' are
28 enabled, and 'video_cards_radeon' an 'video_cards_nvidia' are disabled.
29
30 This will make lives easier both for devs (who wouldn't have to
31 work-around this) and users (for those who will benefit from new mesa,
32 and those who will not upgrade and break their systems).
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny