From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] A GLEP for ComRel?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 16:14:29
1 On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 11:55 -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 10:02 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > Given the amount of discussion GLEP 48 update brought, I'd like to
7 > > tackle a semi-related topic: wouldn't it be beneficial to have the role
8 > > and policies of ComRel solidified in a GLEP, and officially stamped
9 > > by the Council this way?
12 > I'd be excited to see a GLEP to outline the purpose of the Comrel team and
13 > its role. I'm less happy to codify the policies in the GLEP. I'd argue that
14 > most policies should be decided at the team level (not the council level).
15 > GLEP48 itself is kind of a mix of "here is what we think the QA team should
16 > be doing" and policies "the QA team will fix typos, etc." I'd perhaps
17 > advocate for stronger guidance on separating these concerns.
18 >
19 > To use an example from our IRC conversation. Rich suggested the Comrel GLEP
20 > should contain some kind of wording for privacy expectations. I agree that
21 > it should, but I'm not sure it should exactly specify. It might be
22 > sufficient to say:
23 >
24 > [Proctors]
25 > You should have no privacy expectation for conversations with the Proctors
26 > team, assume all conversations are public.
27 >
28 > [Comrel]
29 > Conversations with Comrel are confidential, but may become non-confidential
30 > under (some circumstances){LINK_TO_POLICY_DOCUMENT}.
31 >
32 > Note that I don't intend for this to mean the council cannot have a say in
33 > team policies, but I think it should be more reactionary (users report bad
34 > policies, council investigates and takes action) and less proactive
35 > (council reviews and approves all policies.) I think if the latter was to
36 > happen, you'd need some faster way to get the a council to review and
37 > approve things. Like in Infra (another team where a charter might be
38 > worthwhile) I'm not sure the council approving our policies adds much.
41 We could also go for more general 'disciplinary action' GLEP, and make
42 individual project (ComRel, Proctors, QA) policies adhere to that.
45 Best regards,
46 Michał Górny