From: Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 14:43:06
1 On 10/07/2016 04:58 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 12:57 AM, NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Well, what is the purpose of an appeal?
5 >> Presumably, it is twofold: 1) that the procedures that lead up to the
6 >> initial decision were just and appropriate, 2) that the logic that lead
7 >> to the initial decision was valid and correct.
10 > It seems far more important to me that the purpose is to confirm
11 > whether the underlying complaint is valid, and whether the action
12 > taken by Comrel was appropriate. If the procedures/logic were flawed
13 > that seems more like a refinement.
14 >
15 > If somebody was harassing somebody else, and Comrel boots them, and it
16 > turns out that they didn't file some information correctly, is it
17 > better to let the booted dev back in and tell Comrel to boot them
18 > again correctly this time?
19 >
20 > When somebody doesn't commit a package properly we tell them not to do
21 > it again, and we make any appropriate fixes. We don't arbitrarily
22 > revert the commit without thinking about the pros and cons of doing
23 > this vs fixing the problem in some other way. Sometimes a reversion
24 > is appropriate solution, but sometimes the right solution is to move
25 > things forward to a better state. Ultimately we need to be concerned
26 > with the user experience.
27 >
28 > In the same way we need to be concerned with the community experience.
29 > Sometimes overturning a comrel decision might be the right move, but
30 > sometimes it might just need a nudge in the right direction, or no
31 > change at all as far as the outcome goes, even if something went wrong
32 > along the way. Doing otherwise just leads to lawyering where we argue
33 > over the process completely ignoring the reason why Comrel is
34 > necessary in the first place.
35 >
36 >> The likelihood of a ComRel member changing their mind at the Council
37 >> appeal stage should be minimal, and their decision is most likely
38 >> against an individual at this point. This means that the votes in an
39 >> appeal are already stacked against an individual if a Council member is
40 >> a ComRel member.
41 >
42 > That makes sense.
43 >
44 >> Recusing oneself reduces an initial bias against an
45 >> individual.
46 >
47 > I don't see this as bias, though bias has many definitions. Typically
48 > bias implies some kind of unfairness. A fully-informed decision isn't
49 > bias.
52 >> Hopefully it should be more clear as to why recusal or independence is
53 >> being promoted as superior to the alternative. It promotes
54 >> imparitality, something you'd hope for in an appeal. "Conflict of
55 >> Interest" probably wasn't the proper terminology to use earlier.
56 >> "Impartiality" is.
59 > Having previously heard a case doesn't mean that somebody isn't
60 > treating all sides of the case equally, which is what partiality is.
61 >
62 > Note that most court systems do not generally strive for independence
63 > between court levels. Usually lower courts are completely subject to
64 > the higher ones. This makes sense when you consider how appeals work.
65 > Imagine if a lower court and a higher court were completely in
66 > disagreement. Anybody who the higher court felt was guilty was set
67 > free by the lower court, and anybody the higher court felt was
68
69 I'm not following this logic. Are you defining independence as also
70 being equals? The appeals courts don't manage the lower courts in the
71 same way a company manages its employees. And while it may not be
72 universally true in the US, if a lower court decides someone is not
73 guilty (or a jury for that court does), then it's over. The appeals
74 court opinion is moot.
75
76 ComRel and the council share the same setup. If ComRel chooses not to
77 discipline a dev due to a complaint, then no appeals can be filed.
78 Afterall, the complainant will never know what actions ComRel did or did
79 not take in regards to the complaint unless the accused mentions it.
80
81 > innocent was declared guilty by the lower court. This would result in
82 > a system where the lower court is a meaningless exercise in process,
83 > because every single decision would be overturned. You want the lower
84 > court to follow the direction of the higher court, so that the
85 > majority of decisions are never appealed in the first place, and most
86 > appeals fail.
87 >
88 > That actually brings up a separate issue with how Comrel operates.
89 > Right now the most common interpretation of the code of conduct says
90 > that the only person who can appeal a Comrel decision is somebody
91 > being punished by Comrel. If dev A complains to Comrel about dev B
92 > doing something wrong, and Comrel decides to take no action against
93 > dev B, dev A has no recourse for appeal. That is a system biased
94 > against action because there are two opportunities to stop action, but
95
96 This is a good thing. Should you really have to worry so much about
97 what you say in emails, forum posts, IRC channels, so you don't offend
98 anyone and risk them reporting you and then you getting an X duration ban?
99
100 Like it or not, there are going to be conflicting opinions and
101 discussions on those opinions will sometimes get heated and on occasion
102 complaints will be filed because emotions have taken over, but none of
103 that is justification for ComRel to intervene.
106 > only one opportunity to take action. If Comrel simply ignored every
107 > case or dismissed them all, they wouldn't be subject to any oversight
108 > at all under the present system.
109
110 That's an accountability problem not a bias for action problem. This is
111 a point that has been made several times in this thread already. There
112 needs to be better/more ways to handle accountability concerns when
113 dealing with ComRel. The fact that its inner workings are basically a
114 black box to most on the outside is not a good thing. There's nothing
115 positive of going to someone out-of-the-blue and saying "We received
116 complaints about you, we agreed with the complaints, so here's what your
117 punishment is. Don't like it file an appeal".
120 > In an ideal world I'd certainly prefer to see more fresh blood in
121 > Comrel, but this is an area we need to be careful about. I'm less
122 > keen on having Comrel entirely elected unless we fix the issue with
123 > not being able to appeal inaction, because this essentially means we
124 > have two different independent bodies steering CoC enforcement in
125 > different directions. If people are upset about the independence of
126 > Council and Trustees then adding more independent governing bodies
127 > that aren't entirely subordinate seems like a step in the wrong
128 > direction. Most organizations try to have just one body ultimately in
129 > charge with delegation down from there.
130 >
131 I don't recall anyone suggesting that comrel become independent of the
132 council. What I have seen and personally suggested was that comrel
133 membership be voted in by the full Gentoo dev community just as the
134 council is. Everything would remain the same. That means ComRel is
135 still overseen by the Council and anyone who doesn't agree with a ComRel
136 decision can appeal.
137
138 Comrel isn't a normal project, it has the ability to significantly
139 affect Gentoo as a whole. The council has the same ability. I see
140 little wisdom in letting people join ComRel without a vetting from the
141 greater community when when Council members are required to go through
142 such a vetting process.
143
144 -Nicholas Vinson