From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 17:54:02
1 On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 3:05 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On 15/01/17 20:02, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> 2. Transparency
6 > >> ---------------
7 > >> Any disciplinary action should be announced by the team in a manner
8 > >> specific to the appropriate media where the measure applies.
9 > >> The announcement should be visible to all users of that media,
10 > >> and contains:
11 > >>
12 > >> - the name of the user to whom the measure applies,
13 > >>
14 > >> - the description and length of the measure applied.
15 > > I think most of your proposal is reasonable, except for this point.
16 > >
17 > > I'd prefer that transparency be done in an anonymous way. I'm fine
18 > > with the individuals being affected by a disciplinary action
19 > > voluntarily choosing to allow this information to be divulged.
20 > > However, if somebody is the subject of discipline they shouldn't be
21 > > turned into public examples for a few reasons:
22 > >
23 > > 1. It makes them hard to rejoin the community after their
24 > > ban/whatever is over, because now they have a public reputation.
25 > > 2. It can damage somebody's public reputation, which could affect
26 > > their ability to work on non-Gentoo projects or even for them to find
27 > > employment.
28 > > 3. Because of #2, it tends to force the subject of an action to
29 > > defend their reputation in public, which then leads to arguments/etc.
30 > > 4. Also because of #2, it may lead the subject of an action to defend
31 > > their reputation using the courts, which can become an expensive
32 > > proposition for all involved.
33 > > 5. #3-4 will tend to render moot your suggestion to keep the details
34 > > of infractions private, since it will probably tend to come out in all
35 > > the arguing. Or, if it doesn't then all that argument doesn't
36 > > actually serve any productive purpose since there are no facts
37 > > involved.
38 > >
39 > > If the concern is abuse then let those who feel they were the victims
40 > > of abuse be the ones to choose whether they make it a public issue.
41 > > And by all means publish anonymous information about the volume of
42 > > actions so that we can collectively judge whether it is happening too
43 > > often/little/etc.
44 > >
45 > I respectfully disagree.
46 >
47 > If a persons actions have escalated to an extent where disciplinary
48 > action becomes necessary, it should have become patently obvious by this
49 > point that something has gone badly wrong, and that the consequences of
50 > this are that you may be publicly named and shamed. Where there may be
51 > some legal angle, I feel there may be cause to anonymise until legal
52 > advice has been sought, but in that event, you may not wish to publish
53 > anything until you know where you stand anyway. In the rare event that
54 > an error occurs, a public apology may be the correct course of action to
55 > rectify any public disclosure that may have previously occurred. This
56 > too, should function as a check-and-balance that you're doing The Right
57 > Thing(tm).
60 I think you vastly underestimate the number of bans that occur on mediums
61 such as IRC, the forums, or bugzilla.
62
63 -A
67 > If it is deemed immediate and escalated action is necessary as the First
68 > step, I think you're going to be seeking advice anyway, and it should be
69 > apparent that such action is only desirable in very rare and severe
70 > cases. Again, the knowledge that you may have to quickly backtrack and
71 > perform a public apology should function as a check-and-balance.
72 >
73 > Increased transparency and the fear of real consequences to your actions
74 > should be an adequate deterrent to anyone thinking of stirring the pot.
75 > It works elsewhere, why should Gentoo be such a special case?!