From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] New Developer: Christopher "cbrannon" Brannon
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:27:58
1 On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:08:33PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
4 >> > " My hobbies are technical, nerdy, or intellectual.  I'm a licensed
5 >> > amateur radio operator.  My call sign is KB5KZZ.
6 >>
7 >> i guess it's supposed to sound like a radio station name then
8 >
9 > The callsign is a name issued by a relevant authority (in my case, the
10 > ACMA, in Chris' case, the FCC) to operators of radio transmitters so
11 > that they can identify those stations for administrative purposes.
12
13 Hmm, and from the little I know not unlike Slashdot there is a certain
14 level of notoriety from having a shorter call sign (within a
15 particular jurisdiction). Looks like they're up to 6 in the US now -
16 my father actually has one with 4.
17
18 I believe the first letter(s) are assigned per international treaty so
19 within a jurisdiction (like the US) you'll find that they all start
20 with only one or two letters. That's why all your US TV and radio
21 station callsigns start with K and W I believe (if nothing has changed
22 in the last 20 years since I studied this stuff).
23
24 Rich