From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 21:58:21
1 Am Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2018, 16:14:48 CEST schrieb Alec Warner:
2
3 > They seem to offer docker packages, so we could just nab those and run them
4 > in containers on hosts. I'm not too keen on doing a bunch of (really what I
5 > consider busywork) to try to 'get it working on Gentoo.' We already use
6 > upstream provided containers and I expect that to continue as upstreams
7 > continue to abandon the 'release packages' model and move to 'release sets
8 > of containers' model.
9 >
10 > -A
11
12 Apart from all the implications that have already been brought up, that's
13
14 1) a public relations nightmare waiting to happen
15 (future discussion: "Err, wait, central Gentoo infrastructure runs on an
16 Ubuntu-based container? Well, then we switch directly to Ubuntu.")
17
18 2) not particularly nice to our users, who probably want to experiment with
19 gitlab too.
20 (Hey, for years www-apps/bugzilla was maintainer-needed while Gentoo Infra was
21 running a well-maintained instance. I was always wondering what happened
22 there...)
23
24 So I'd suggest we either are convinced that our packaging actually makes
25 sense, and use it, or we close shop.
28 Andreas K. Hüttel
29 dilfridge@g.o
30 Gentoo Linux developer
31 (council, toolchain, perl, libreoffice, comrel)