From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 19:18:13
1 On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:28:35 -0500
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:50:50 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > And how is that not discriminating? On one hand you talk of giving
9 > > > people outside the project the means to influence it, yet you
10 > > > explicitly take away the right of voting for people outside
11 > > > the Foundation (even though they are in the project, after all).
12 > >
13 > > If as a Developer you opt out of Foundation membership. You cannot turn
14 > > around and claim discrimination to something you chose to leave.
15 >
16 > What if I *have* to opt out because of my employment or local law? For
17 > example, if my contract forbids me from being *enlisted*
18 > in corporations working in the IT sector?
21 And how exactly would it be the responsibility of anyone but the employee
22 in question?
23
24 I don't think the foundation is legally required to be super-preemptive
25 about stuff like this, but ask a lawyer.
26
27 It does puzzle me why it would be any business of the foundation to deal
28 with your contract unless the foundation deliberately interfered.
29
30 It's easy to argue whether things can or can't happen but will you
31 > defend me against a lawsuit from my employer? Will the Foundation
32 > guarantee that? As I see it, keeping a low profile should be
33 > developer's right.
36 This would require indemnification of the developer by the foundation.
37
38 > > I'm not sure if you've seen that but Gentoo developers lately have been
39 > > > harassed by multiple users who had no to minor contributions yet
40 > > > believed they are the best people to tell developers how do their work.
41 > >
42 > > Which is why they would be better served to voice their opinions to
43 > Trustees.
44 > > Let Trustees approach council if they feel it is best. If Council feels
45 > the
46 > > need they could consult Developers.
47 > >
48 > > > Accepting input is one thing. Letting people who do not do current
49 > > > Gentoo work (= aren't affected by the decisions directly) decide on
50 > > > what others should do is another.
51 > >
52 > > Just because Foundation, Council, and Gentoo project want to do
53 > something.
54 > > Does not mean YOU have to do that. At the same time a project should not
55 > be
56 > > just left up to those scratching itches. If by some means all that
57 > individual
58 > > itch scratching leads to something collectively great.
59 > >
60 > > At some point has to be some big picture to how all the stuff fits
61 > together.
62 > > Are we a organized team/project or just individuals doing what ever?
63 >
64 > We are individuals who can get along eventually and make a pretty
65 > decent distro as a result. For some time already.
66 >
67 > > > How can a user who has barely any contact with Gentoo developers be
68 > > > able to choose good candidates for the Council?
69 > >
70 > > Users would never have ability to vote for Council. Foundation members
71 > can
72 > > only vote for Foundation stuff. Which Council voting would be left to
73 > > Developers.
74 >
75 > ...which would be meaningless with Trustees having the power to
76 > override pretty much everything for no apparent reason.
77 >
78 > > > I don't see how either of those arguments are related to me being
79 > > > a Foundation member or not. After all, the Foundation protects *all*
80 > > > Gentoo work, independently of whether a developer doing it is a member
81 > > > or not, doesn't it?
82 > >
83 > > So the Foundation and Trustees should be legally liable for all your
84 > actions
85 > > without any influence?
86 > >
87 > > You can do what ever you want and we will be liable for your actions. Do
88 > you
89 > > want to be liable for all my actions. That is asking way to much of a
90 > Trustee
91 > > IMHO. Be 100% responsible and legally liable with no influence.
92 >
93 > I'm afraid we don't understand each other. I still don't see how
94 > liability is different for person who is a *member* of the Foundation,
95 > and for a developer who is not a member of the Foundation.
96 >
97 > > > They can get recruited. It's not hard. Getting a developer status
98 > > > (without commit access) mostly involves proving that you're accustomed
99 > > > to organization matters of how Gentoo operates.
100 > >
101 > > There are many in the community who either cannot or do not want to be
102 > come
103 > > Developers in any capacity. Just the same as those who do not want to be
104 > > members in the Foundation.
105 >
106 > So why are the people who don't want to be developers privileged over
107 > people who don't want to be Foundation members?
108 >
109 > > > I believe the legal liability concern is a rare enough issue for
110 > > > Trustees to be involved rather when that is a possible case rather than
111 > > > having them approve every step of everyone else.
112 > >
113 > > True, but just because no one has sued does not mean the project should
114 > not be
115 > > aware of such liabilities and seek to protect itself from law suit.
116 >
117 > You can protect Gentoo from liability without having total control over
118 > every aspect of Gentoo. There's a difference between power to make
119 > decisions that prevent liability and power to make any decisions.
120 >
121 > > > It's not perfect but I believe Gentoo could prevail. Maybe it'd even be
122 > > > beneficial long-term, since it would let the developers actually doing
123 > > > a lot of work to split from those who mostly talk. Pretty much getting
124 > > > Gentoo back to the roots, as Daniel Robbins seen it.
125 > >
126 > > That is not how Daniel sees it, and does not agree with such separation.
127 > That
128 > > is what people need to understand. What Gentoo has become it was not
129 > intended
130 > > to be, nor did it start that way.
131 >
132 > http://www.funtoo.org/Making_the_Distribution,_Part_1
133 >
134 > And here we are, arguing that Gentoo should be lead by people 'who
135 > aren't writing any code (nor do they have any intention to). Instead they
136 > spend their time talking about more important things. You know, those
137 > managerial issues'.
138 >
139 > --
140 > Best regards,