From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 18:38:33
1 On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 1:14 PM Joonas Niilola <juippis@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > This could be 'exploited' with a group of friends. By exploited I mean
4 > small inner circles forming, where people just approve their friends
5 > commits without looking at them.
6
7 It sounds like you still need to get the 3 points from already-vetted
8 users to get credit towards having a reputation of your own in the
9 proposal. So, a group of users with no reputation could not confer
10 reputation to each other.
11
12 Otherwise you could have innocent/ignorant users approving each
13 other's work and gaining reputation without knowing what they're
14 doing. Alternatively you could have a malicious user use sock puppets
15 to gain reputation trivially.
16
17 Of course a malicious user could still gain reputation by making
18 genuine contributions. They would just need to do this with three
19 accounts to have the equivalent of developer access. Of course, by
20 that argument somebody can also maliciously become a developer. I
21 don't think the system has to be bulletproof - it just has to be
22 enough of a barrier so that you don't get a ton of low-effort attacks.
23
24 My alternate proposal of having users maintian their own trust bits
25 for contributors has the same weakness. Somebody doing enough good
26 work can start slipping in malware. Short of actually verifying
27 identity documents and so on we aren't going to solve that problem.
30 Rich