From: Daniel Campbell <contact@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 01:38:41
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 01/13/2015 07:43 PM, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 > Wanted to share my thoughts on where I think Gentoo should go, in
6 > terms of direction. Would love to hear your thoughts.
7 >
8 > http://dberkholz.com/2015/01/13/gentoo-needs-focus-to-stay-relevant/
12 I'm not a developer, but I am interested in becoming one. That said, I
13 don't understand why relevance or focus are important. Is Gentoo not a
14 distribution made by people who feel that Gentoo meets their needs and
15 (for those who contribute) want to improve it? One of the core values
16 of Gentoo is the concept of choice. Without choice, none of the three
17 things you listed on the blog post are possible. People who were
18 trying to avoid things being pushed on them from other distros would
19 never have come here, and wouldn't be contributing. And that's only
20 one reason that people come to Gentoo.
21
22 With any other "migration" of sorts, you can rightfully expect that
23 most of the "refugees" will just be leeching users, but I would wager
24 that a not-insignificant portion of them will be users that, like me,
25 want to contribute or join the development effort and make Gentoo a
26 better distro. Choice and the "meta distribution" concepts are part of
27 that. I don't think they're the end-all, be-all of Gentoo, but those
28 two things open up a plethora of options and possible "focuses".
29
30 Gentoo is the furthest thing I can think of from being "for everyone".
31 But to anyone with the know-how or dedication, Gentoo really can fit
32 any use-case. You might need to build a number of scripts or tools on
33 top of the already great ones that Gentoo provides in order to meet
34 your needs, but there's a lot already in place that creates a lot of
35 value for a lot of different use cases. One's grandma or
36 non-tech-savvy friend doesn't really fit in on Gentoo since it
37 requires a passing understanding of a GNU/Linux system, and that's
38 okay. Gentoo, from what I can tell, is meant for the people dedicated
39 to running specific, lightweight, and/or versatile systems. Whether
40 they're a dev, need to manage 100+ machines, prefer a lean and fast
41 desktop, or need to pare it down for an embedded product, Gentoo can
42 and does meet all those needs.
43
44 Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it seems like "focus" is referring
45 to actively marketing or advertising Gentoo to garner more interest.
46 Given the other marketing and pushing seen in the FOSS world
47 (specifically related to a certain audio stack and init system) I
48 don't see people taking kindly to that sort of behavior. Gentoo should
49 (and does) stand on its own as a great distribution to do many
50 different things with, without a marketing agenda.
51
52 But assuming I do misunderstand, are you talking about bringing those
53 benefits up if/when someone asks about Gentoo and/or putting it on the
54 front page of the wiki and the main site(s)? I see little to no harm
55 in adding bullet points to a list of benefits, and maybe Gentoo could
56 benefit from some good guides (in blogs or the wiki) for getting a
57 sane dev environment or setting up something for an Arduino or
58 Raspberry Pi, etc. I think doing that would be really good for giving
59 outsiders a more concrete example of things that Gentoo can do more
60 easily than other distributions. And that will almost certainly bring
61 in users. But what about the real problem?
62
63 The real problem, based on what I've read here on gentoo-dev,
64 gentoo-project, and so on, is a lack of manpower. A lot of Gentoo devs
65 supposedly don't work together too much, and prefer doing their own
66 thing. And to a degree that's the way it should be, since devs are all
67 volunteers. Nobody should be forced to do something on Gentoo unless
68 what they're doing is damaging to the distro as a whole. But let me
69 get back to my point...
70
71 More users means more bugs, more requests, more ideas, and
72 essentially... more work. There needs to be a smoother process for
73 people to become developers without sacrificing (too much of) the
74 integrity of Gentoo. More developers means more maintainers, more eyes
75 on bugs, and yes, more trouble coordinating group efforts. If the
76 pathway to become a developer is a bit smoother and easier, more users
77 - -- with considerable knowledge and/or a strong will to learn -- will
78 become valuable assets to the Gentoo team. A more prominent way to
79 tell the Gentoo community what challenges Gentoo is facing (like the
80 multilib migration from emul-linux-* to the abi_x86_32 USE flag), and
81 a clear pathway to joining the development efforts (say, with
82 developers who have the time to mentor adding their name to a list,
83 their specialties, etc) would do a lot to help visibility of Gentoo's
84 need for manpower. Then these new developers can lend their hand to
85 areas that they feel strongly about and are personally invested in.
86
87 For example, if/when I become a Gentoo dev I want to assist in ebuilds
88 for games, a few tools I personally use, and would want to join
89 efforts in OpenRC and eudev to help keep GNU/Linux free from vertical
90 integration efforts that most other distros are pushing for. I'm sure
91 I'm not the only Gentoo user out there who feels strongly about a few
92 things and could offer help on things that Gentoo seems to be in dire
93 need of. Personally, I'm not limited to what I listed above. If I
94 think I can learn enough to help, I'd be glad to help in any way I
95 can. Gentoo's a great distro with a knowledgeable and enthusiastic
96 community. If there's a way to get more of the community involved in
97 Gentoo's maintenance and progression, I think that's the way forward.
98 Switching the documentation to a wiki was a fantastic move that seems
99 to be improving Gentoo's docs by quite a bit and a great example of
100 what can be done to improve the distro.
101
102 The current issues I think Gentoo faces are more related to manpower
103 than relevance, focus, or usefulness. Maybe some new blood (to assist
104 the older, knowledgeable blood) is needed to help Gentoo move forward
105 faster.
106
107 Just my 2¢.