From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 03:23:58
1 On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 10:08 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sunday, November 13, 2016 3:59:30 AM EST Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 >> On 11/13/2016 03:47 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 >> >
6 >> > When council overrules Comrel decision, is the developers record wiped
7 >> > clean all history erased?
8 >>
9 >> History is history, it should never be erased as it forms the background
10 >> for any discussions.
11 >
12 > Ever heard of expunging...
13 > Some injustices of the past are removed entirely...
14 >
15 > If during an appeal it was revealed comrel did not follow procedures and/or
16 > had various conflicts of interest. It would very much be just cause to erase
17 > any prior record.
18
19 I do think that there should be a retention period of some kind for
20 legal reasons (probably something we ought to work with the Trustees
21 on). However, I don't think that it makes sense to expunge records
22 simply because somebody had a conflict of interest or didn't follow a
23 procedure.
24
25 Anybody using those records should of course consider the reliability
26 of those records. And the records should preserve any problems that
27 were uncovered with the records themselves and how they were obtained.
30 > Though does mean you would have to refrain from any appeal, given 2 council
31 > members are on Comrel. With you being one.
34 In the recent appeals of Comrel decisions the Comrel members on
35 Council have recused themselves, and we based decisions on a majority
36 of the remaining members. Council members are free to recuse
37 themselves from decisions anytime they feel they have a conflict of
38 interest. I've yet to see a case where there was a dispute over
39 whether a conflict exists and the person involved hasn't recused
40 themselves voluntarily.
43 Rich