From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Rekindling Gentoo News -> Paying for news
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:35:43
1 I was trying not to chime in, but I figured I will toss it out there. Its in -
2 nfp archives I think.
3
4 When I was a Trustee, I had ideas of Gentoo paying, very small amounts, for
5 people to work on a monthly/weekly newsletter. This was something VERY
6 beneficial to developers and the community. But the high quality that was
7 produced in the past with the GWN, required considerable time. I felt it was
8 allot for a volunteer, but since it served such benefit. Why not pay to help
9 ensure it continues.
10
11 At the time it was misconstrued into wanting to pay myself. Despite one of my
12 first acts in reviewing Draft By Laws publicly on -nfp list, was to remove any
13 provisions that allowed Trustees to pay themselves. That seemed very wrong,
14 Trustees decide if they can pay themselves.... I never had plans to pay
15 myself. Sadly some who harrassed me on such topic where exactly the ones I
16 wanted to see getting paid... Who later in devrel took part on banning me etc.
17 Amazing how trying to help others went so south.... :(
18
19 I think the concept is still sound. Linode used to offer a $100 for
20 documentation. That was so well received, they had to stop the program due to
21 the backlog. I would not suggest it for documentation etc. But a newsletter,
22 why not.
23
24 If people are spending hours putting together a weekly or monthly news letter
25 simply to inform others. Why not pay them a little for their time? It will
26 hopefully ensure people are always there to do that. Could help out students
27 and others.
28
29 The Developer Spotlight was good to help introduce people in the project to
30 each other. You may never work with someone but when they are in the spotlight
31 you gain a bit of insight you may never have had otherwise. Helps everyone get
32 to know each other. Not just the technical things going on in the project.
33
34 That is up to the community and Trustees.
37 William L. Thomson Jr.