From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-03-13
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 00:03:23
2012/3/1 Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>:
> On 2012.03.01 10:29, Ulrich Mueller wrote: > [snip] >> >> I agree that en_*.UTF-8 is a reasonable setting. I think for LC_CTYPE >> it doesn't even matter if it's en_US or en_GB. >> >> Ulrich >> >> > > Team, > > As an Englishman, it hurts to say it but for consistencys sake it needs > to be en_US. > > Everything else I can think of uses American as a default. Xorg, > console keymaps, even ls --colour fails.
It hurt to say I do always underestimate pills of humor I (try to) insert in emails. At the time of the first post I didn't knew of a C.utf-8 possibility (or that would have been my choice) but otherwise the most logical is en_US. Another thing I do really don't know yet is how this reflect on file-system paths. File system is safe because it's encoding agnostic, it eats all but \0 and "/" right? But how do applications react to a change in the LC_* variables?