From: Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 15:22:34
1 On 10/07/2016 08:13 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 10/07/2016 07:32 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
5 >>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
7 >>>> wrote:
8 >>>>> My opinion is that if a developer is bad enough to keep out, its also
9 >>>>> important enough to get the paperwork fixed to prove it. If they
10 >>>>> have a
11 >>>>> clean case it *should* be very easy to get the paperwork right.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Sure, by all means leave the bug open until the paperwork is fixed,
14 >>>> but I don't think that means that the developer should be allowed back
15 >>>> in if the bug isn't closed before some deadline.
16 >>>
17 >>> What I want to prevent is a stagnation where a dev gets mistakenly
18 >>> locked out because his case got left in limbo.
19 >>>
20 >>>>> But its the "due process" here that proves the developer is bad to
21 >>>>> begin
22 >>>>> with. If comrel screwed up and there was a mistake and the
23 >>>>> developer is
24 >>>>> actually meritorious, its bad for gentoo to keep them out.
25 >>>
26 >>>> Sure, if all three of your preconditions are true I agree with your
27 >>>> conclusion. However, if comrel screwed up and there was a mistake and
28 >>>> the developer is actually still a problem, then the solution is to fix
29 >>>> the mistakes, not keep them around.
30 >>>
31 >>> And how do you know whether the developer is a problem or not?
32 >
33 > The same way Comrel knows. You look at the evidence and draw a
34 > conclusion. If you don't trust somebody to do that, you shouldn't be
35 > putting them on the Council.
38 >> If ComRel screwed
39 >> up, then "fixing" the mistake is also reversing their decisions that
40 >> includes bringing back the dev. If the developer is really a problem,
41 >> then ComRel will be given repeated chances to deal with the developer
42 >> and eventually (well hopefully not eventually) the "due process" will be
43 >> done correctly and the developer will be removed.
44 >
45 > And what happens when somebody sues Gentoo or one of its contributors
46 > for not doing enough to deal with a problem, because we're fighting
47 > over process when there is agreement that the person in question ought
48 > to go?
49
50 The same thing that happens when somebody sues Gentoo or one of its
51 contributors for discrimination or some other related charge because it
52 overreacted to a problem and punished an innocent developer.
53
54 That said, if there are concerns about legal issues relating to Gentoo
55 policy or procedures, then the Trustees need to be notified so they can
56 look into it. Neither the council nor ComRel are staffed with the
57 expectation to understand or act on potential legal issues. The
58 Trustees, on the other hand, are expected to address legal concerns in
59 whatever manner is appropriate. They are the ones, after-all, that
60 would have to deal with any lawsuit against the Gentoo foundation.
63 >> To me this really seems to follow the line of thinking of "If the dev
64 >> was really innocent of any wrong doing, no complaint would have been
65 >> filed". I hope that's not the case because I find that style of logic
66 >> to be both naive and dangerous.
67 >
68 > This would only be a valid criticism if every complaint resolved in
69 > the harshest possible punishment. From the sound of things most
70 > complaints result in no action at all. As far as I can tell most
71 > Comrel actions aren't even appealed. After all, the matter that
72 > started this whole discussion wasn't even appealed to the whole of
73 > Comrel let alone to the Council.