From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 22:31:59
On 2011.08.04 21:10, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 23:21 Tue 02 Aug , Roy Bamford wrote: > > It would be unethical if the council could vote funds for a council > > devised project. > > I disagree. I don't think it's unethical nor even unusual for me to > fund > my own decisions in a personal or corporate environment. It seems > much > > more unethical to me that some "helicopter parents" can choose not to > fund a decision; that's one way how we get so many screwups in our > government, with unfunded decisions that cost money. > > -- > Thanks, > Donnie > > Donnie Berkholz > Council Member / Sr. Developer > Gentoo Linux > Blog: >
I think we have to agree to disagree on this one. The corporate norm of checks and balances is to have applications for expenditure, be it for trivial sums or large capital items, to be signed off by someone/some group with no interest in the outcome, so they can make an objective decision. e.g. I can sign off travel and expenses for others but not for myself. There is usually a system of audits to ensure this division of responsibilities actually happens too. I freely admit my experience is limited to the UK. -- Regards, Roy Bamford (Neddyseagoon) a member of gentoo-ops forum-mods trustees