From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Maciej Barć" <xgqt@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Anna <cyber+gentoo@×××××.in>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Encourage donations to Gentoo developers
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 23:20:26
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 6:02 PM Maciej Barć <xgqt@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Do you know what is GF's stance on funding "local" dev HW? I think
4 > people inside toolchain/chromium/firefox or other projects requiring a
5 > lot of computation power to run various compilation/test configurations
6 > could use HW provided/sponsored by the Foundation.
7
8 I do not speak for the Foundation, but the process for requesting
9 stuff like this is located at:
10 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Funding_Request
11
12 Obviously they don't have infinite funds, but this is the sort of
13 thing that they've been historically doing. Just keep in mind that
14 there is work involved besides just writing checks. Ie if you want to
15 buy some expensive hardware keep in mind that it needs to actually be
16 hosted and administered and so Infra/etc would need to get involved
17 (and hosting has its own costs).
18
19 I'd suggest talking to them if you have an idea, preferably in
20 coordination with a team if appropriate or if somebody else is already
21 doing similar work.
24 Rich