From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, gentoo-scm@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-scm] Re: [gentoo-project] Council / Git Migration Agenda
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 08:08:19
1 Dnia 2014-10-07, o godz. 09:57:32
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > I was thinking of prepending the old history via 'git replace' in
6 > > the gitweb repo to allow looking back. However, that idea has
7 > > the downside that users would be confused by having past commits in
8 > > gitweb yet not in clones.
9 > >
10 > > Kent improved my idea suggesting that we use a separate repo for that
11 > > 'complete history' view. That is, we would have three repos:
12 > >
13 > > 1. history.git -- with past CVS history up to conversion,
14 > >
15 > > 2. dev.git -- with history starting with conversion,
16 > >
17 > > 3. joined-history.git -- dev.git with 'git replace' for history.git,
18 > > that is the complete history including both pre- and post-conversion
19 > > commits.
20 >
21 > Can we do that without requiring the git replace stuff? E.g. have
22 > dev.git be a shallow clone of a joined-history.git?
23
24 No, I don't think we can push to a shallow repo. Additionally, this
25 brings back all the issues I mentioned in the first mail.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny