From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 12:35:37
1 Am Donnerstag, 27. März 2014, 14:40:47 schrieb Anthony G. Basile:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > The council will be meeing on April 8, 2014 at 1900 UTC. Please bring
5 > forward any agenda items you would like discussed.
6 >
7 > --Tony
8
9 Here are several resolution drafts which I would like to ask my council
10 colleagues to vote on. Part of the text is based on suggestions by other
11 council members.
12
13 1) The council strongly disapproves of any developers unilaterally reverting
14 QA team actions. While the case decision lies with QA and ComRel teams, the
15 council welcomes the idea of immediate sanctions in such a case. An individual
16 developer who disagrees with an action made in the name of QA, whether the
17 action is proper or not, MUST follow the escalation procedures set forth in
18 GLEP 48, and is encouraged to work with QA, ComRel or eventually the council
19 to settle any concerns. The council will follow up on any accusations of QA
20 abuse the same way as on any commit that is in conflict with a QA action.
21
22 2) The council recognizes that there are some open questions around when
23 individuals in QA ought to take action, and how internal disagreements get
24 resolved. The council would like to ask QA to design its own operating
25 procedures and publish them. There should be a reasonably clear process so
26 that QA members can act in the confidence that they are doing things properly,
27 and the rest of the community can be assured that there is accountability. The
28 council requests an update on the progress of establishing procedures prior to
29 its next monthly meeting.
30
31 3) The council believes that a wide announcement and if needed discussion of
32 changes to central parts of Gentoo (as, e.g., system packages, profiles,
33 global use-flags) should be preferred. In particular, only informing "relevant
34 people" makes no sense if others will also be affected.
35
36 4) While it is any developer's choice not to participate on the gentoo-dev and
37 gentoo-project mailing lists, they nevertheless serve as main communication
38 channels. If something has been discussed there, and then action has been
39 taken, the council regards ignorance of the discussion not as a good
40 foundation for protests against the actions.
41
42 5) The council encourages teams maintaining central parts of Gentoo to accept
43 new developers as team members and teach them the required knowledge and
44 intricacies. We consider this important to ensure long-term continuity and
45 increase the bus factor in critical areas.
46
47 Rationale:
48 about 1)
49 If a cop pulls you over, you don't beat him up or just drive on. Even if you
50 think the traffic light was still yellow or even green.
51
52 about 3)
53 Nobody asks for consensus (which we'll never get, I'm being realistic (and it
54 should be pink with yellow stripes)).
55 Whether discussion is needed, well if I announce something, either discussion
56 will follow or not. I've made announcements about the profiles already that
57 didnt get a single reply. Either noone understood what I was writing, or noone
58 disagreed...
62 Andreas K. Huettel
63 Gentoo Linux developer
64 dilfridge@g.o