From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for public condemnation of Russian invasion in Ukraine
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 01:13:10
1 Hi,
2
3 On 09/03/2022 01.21, Andriy Utkin wrote:
4 > For the last two weeks, every day Russia commits war crimes in Ukraine
5 > at a yet-unseen scale.
6 ..
7 > Sadly, I see most FOSS organizations, commercial and volunteer
8 > organizations alike, silent. Gentoo stays silent, too.
9 ..
10 > I also would like to encourage any ideas of how Gentoo could possibly
11 > take any reasonable action.
12
13 Gentoo should avoid politics.
14 (Only exception is a statement like "Use open source" or "Use Gentoo")
15
16 The silence has good reasons:
17
18 a) We provide open source and it is good not to restrict the usage.
19 People are even allowed to use Gentoo to simulate or start nuclear
20 missiles. - even if we all would hate this.
21
22 b) We have nobody who can speak for all Gentoo developers/users.
23
24 We should find ways to ensure neutrality in the long term.
25
26 Provide Gentoo even in bad countries via a clever mirror network.
27 Find solutions to legally evade embargos for our software.
28 Recently people asked to cancel the neutrality of ICANN. This would have
29 killed the internet immediately.
30 There should not be any borders for Gentoo in the next decades.
31
32 Can a state force us/the Gentoo foundation to limit the access to our
33 services and prevent specific people or countries from using our services?
34 Can a state force us to commit malware/backdoors or send signed malware
35 to specific IPs?
38 Best,
39 Jonas