From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Microsoft buys GitHub
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 16:56:55
1 On 18-06-04 12:37:52, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 6/4/18 12:25 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 10:05 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> W dniu pon, 04.06.2018 o godzinie 15∶07 +0200, użytkownik Michał Górny
5 > >> napisał:
6 > >>> W dniu pon, 04.06.2018 o godzinie 19∶47 +0700, użytkownik
7 > >>> grozin@g.o napisał:
8 > >>>> https://itsfoss.com/microsoft-github/
9 > >>>>
10 > >>>> Does this influence Gentoo GitHun usage?
11 > >>>>
12 > >>>
13 > >>> As far as I'm aware, our Bylaws, Social Contract etc. don't say anything
14 > >>> about having to hate Microsoft.
15 > >>>
16 > >>> Gentoo should continue to support users via GitHub as long as users are
17 > >>> willing to contribute this way, and there are developers who wish to
18 > >>> support them.
19 > >>>
20 > >>
21 > >> Oh, I should have mentioned: as long as there are no major ToS changes
22 > >> or other events that would meaningfully affect our use of their
23 > >> services.
24 > >>
25 > >
26 > > That is exactly what people are expecting, but more in the way of
27 > > feature changes or a lack of development on integration with open
28 > > source technologies.
29 > >
30 > > For anyone interested, here is a fairly comprehensive comparison of
31 > > self hosting options: https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/comparison/
32 > >
33 > > It is likely gitea is the best.
34 > >
35 > > Cheers,
36 > > R0b0t1
39 > When github was first introduced to Gentoo, Michal and I argued quite a
40 > bit about it. My concern was data lock in. There is now a lot of
41 > Gentoo history in our repos and their issue tracker on github. I don't
42 > hate Microsoft, but I don't trust them. I think we should think of some
43 > way to be able to "bring that data home" in case the TOS does change
44 > drastically --- not just the git repos, but the bug reports too. I'm
45 > not sure how to do the latter.
48 GDPR helps us here I think.
51 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)