From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Extending Social Contract to guarantee that Gentoo will remain volunteer work
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 23:54:25
1 On 26/01/17 23:12, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 16:03:17 +0100
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> The main idea is to protect volunteers spending their time on Gentoo.
6 >> I don't want to learn one day that my opinion doesn't matter anymore
7 >> because a new lead (Council, Trustees, Board, BDFL or any other
8 >> possible future form) decides that they/he/she will use the donation
9 >> money to hire paid workers doing the Gentoo work that they desire.
10 >>
11 >> I believe that any possible lead Gentoo might elect in the future
12 >> should still represent the whole Gentoo community, and the community
13 >> should have the right to refuse to follow the directions set by
14 >> the lead if he/she stops listening to the community. As volunteers,
15 >> we have the right to refuse to do something that in our opinion harms
16 >> Gentoo.
17 >>
18 >> Sadly, this could become pointless if the leading bodies keep the power
19 >> to hire people to work on Gentoo for money. This means that effectively
20 >> they have the power to spend Gentoo money on pursuing their own goals
21 >> as long as they can legally claim that the work is done for
22 >> the benefit of Gentoo. In volunteer-based project, they effectively
23 >> have to *convince* others to work on their ideas and/or spend
24 >> a significant effort working on them themselves.
25 >>
26 >> The other part is pretty much a formality, that means to make it clear
27 >> that Gentoo is not supposed to be bribed by third-party companies to
28 >> alter its course. I don't think it really changes anything but it looks
29 >> like a nice thing to state.
30 >>
31 >> I should note that this doesn't mean to prevent anyone from being paid
32 >> by third parties to work on Gentoo, or receive any money on account of
33 >> what he did or is doing for Gentoo. I think that's fine as long as
34 >> the wider Gentoo community has the right to reject any work that it
35 >> sees unfit.
36 > I fear this suggestion will have the exact opposite effect to that intended.
37 >
38 > If its not possible to invest money in developers to improve Gentoo, then
39 > you're guaranteeing that every developer who contributes to Gentoo must do
40 > so under the assumption that they get their income elsewhere.
41 >
42 > Which might demand that in order to survive, somebody will have to work for some
43 > company in order to survive, and the company will absorb much of their time,
44 > time which they could be contributing to Gentoo, which they must instead focus into
45 > private enterprise.
46 >
47 > And that may also force the developer to focus their development efforts for Gentoo
48 > in ways that profit only their employer, while not caring about the user base of Gentoo.
49 >
50 > And this is a huge problem in OSS these days.
51 >
52 > The inability to survive on it in a Captialist World basically makes opensource an
53 > adversary of survial.
54 >
55 > I myself know of people who have small mounds of personal debt in the interest of looking
56 > after their opensource objectives, and its just not sustainable.
57 >
58 > To the point that, as long as we live in this world, we *need* infrastructure in place
59 > to guarantee that we have the resources to ensure we have developers for the projects
60 > that need to be done.
61 >
62 > Until then, you're basically hedging bets on people being able to scalp company time for gentoo,
63 > betting on people being able to live two lives so they can help gentoo, betting on the developers
64 > ability to obtain welfare to support themselves while they contribute to gentoo, or betting on
65 > a relatively distant future where the world is progressive enough to create UBI.
66 >
67 > Its burning the candle at both ends in the mean time, while median income declines vs inflation
68 > in many countries, making your developer base atrophy as it becomes progressively harder to
69 > support yourself and have energy to contribute.
70 >
71 +1
72
73 Well articulated and summarised, thanks Kent.