From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 18:52:40
1 On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:25 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> How would somebody sue "Gentoo" when Gentoo is just a trademark of
8 > >> SPI? There would be no legal entity called Gentoo to sue. That's the
9 > >> whole point. If somebody wants to sue SPI then that becomes SPI's
10 > >> problem, though obviously as a project we would cooperate with them to
11 > >> minimize this risk.
12 > >
13 > > A suit against "Gentoo" aka:
14 > > https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/developers/
15 > >
16 > > "A business partnership, a nonprofit organization, or a group of citizens
17 > > can be parties in a lawsuit if the court accepts that group as
18 > representing
19 > > 1 side of the dispute."
22 > Sure, but in this case the first two do not exist, so Gentoo could not
23 > be named in a lawsuit. Certainly any group of Gentoo
24 > developers/contributors could be named in a lawsuit, and so could
25 > their next door neighbors. And that is no different from today as
26 > you've pointed out.
27 >
28 > My point is that today if somebody messes up they are personally
29 > liable and the Gentoo Foundation could also be liable. If we moved to
30 > the SPI model then the individuals would still be personally liable,
31 > and SPI could also be liable. And I assume that SPI is better at
32 > managing its own liability.
35 I think this is just everyone being nitpicky.
36
37 SPI reduces the liability of the Gentoo Foundation (since the board and
38 officers have specific legal duties that get taken over by SPI.) I don't
39 think the SPI changes the liability of the foundation members (who do not
40 receive indemnification either way) or non-members. So saying "there is no
41 Gentoo to sue" to me is disingenuous. For most people on this thread the
42 situation is the same; the board and officers encompass only 5 humans.
43
44 -A
48 > --
49 > Rich