From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 19:37:14
1 W dniu wto, 27.03.2018 o godzinie 11∶38 -0600, użytkownik Daniel Robbins
2 napisał:
3 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
6 > > I actually thought this too, but sadly its not in the Bylaws[1].
7 > >
8 > > Instead its just in some text about the Foundation[2].
9 > >
10 > > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Bylaws
11 > > [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Main_Page#
12 > > Trustee_Responsibilities
15 > Let me direct you to Article 5 ("Trustees"), Section 1 ("Powers"):
16 >
17 > "The business and affairs of the foundation shall be managed by or under
18 > the direction of the Board of Trustees, the "Trustees", which may exercise
19 > all such powers of the foundation and do all such lawful acts and things as
20 > are not by statute or by the Certificate of Incorporation or by these
21 > Bylaws specifically reserved to the members."
22 >
23 > ^^^^^^^
24 >
25 > I think I may need to insert some asterisks. The Trustees may exercise
26 > **all such powers of the foundation**. Which powers? **all powers**. What
27 > lawful acts, **all such lawful acts and things as are not by statute or by
28 > the Certificate of Incorporation or by these Bylaws specifically reserved
29 > for the members.** Let me clarify here that "statute" means "written law",
30 > so in other words, GLEP 37 is not a statute.
31 >
32 > What this means is that while a Council system exists, this is with the
33 > consent of the Trustees, and its existence does not in any way diminish the
34 > authority of the Trustees over the project.
35 >
36 > What the Trustees *cannot* do is ignore what is in the Bylaws, which means
37 > that they are elected by members, and that their positions have a term, etc.
38 >
39 > That's the law, folks.
42 Sure they can do anything. And what we can do in return is to stop
43 developing Gentoo and let Trustees build their great Gentoo without
44 the code to actually run it.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny