From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: philantrop@g.o, rbrown@g.o, Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:20:14
1 On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 21:54 +0000, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o>
2 wrote:
6 > Ciaran McCreesh kirjoitti:
7 > > On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:49:14 -0700
8 > > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
9 > >> tove brought up an interesting point from GLEP 39:
10 > >>
11 > >> If any meeting has less than 50% attendance by council members, a
12 > >> new election for all places must be held within a month. The 'one
13 > >> year' is then reset from that point.
14 > >>
15 > >> musikc questioned whether that was only intended for the regular
16 > >> meetings or also irregular ones like this.
17 > >
18 > > Since I'm the one to blame for those bits of GLEP 39...
19 > >
20 > > The wording's fairly explicit -- *any* meeting. The GLEP doesn't say
21 > > that the council has monthly meetings. It merely requires *at least*
22 > > one meeting per month:
23 > >
24 > >> The council must hold an open meeting at least once per month.
25 > >
26 > > The Council is free to decide when it has meetings so long as it meets
27 > > that requirement. In this case, the Council decided to hold two
28 > > meetings this month.
29 > >
30 > > Looks like you don't have much choice but to do what the GLEP says
31 > > and schedule an election...
34 > Keeping an election is really not that much trouble so I would just do
35 > it. As for why I didn't attend it's because my server hasn't really
36 > been able to keep itself up lately and with no access to my regular
37 > irssi screen I forgot to get myself online via other means.
38 >
39 > Regards,
40 > Petteri
43 This is probably the best of several unattractive alternatives. It is
44 very hard to read GLEP 39 as not applying to the "less than 50%
45 attendance" Council meeting of 15.v.08. True, this seems rather harsh,
46 but the alternatives seem worse.
47 (1) We could finesse the meeting by calling it a continuation of the
48 8.v.08 meeting, but that would rewrite the history of how that meeting
49 ended;
50 (2) We could say that GLEP 39 is meant to cover only the required
51 monthly Council meetings, but that just ignores what the GLEP says and
52 what one of its authors says its intent is (see ciaranm's remarks
53 above);
54 (3) We could say the 15.v.08 meeting is only adjourned, but that has the
55 difficulty that the meeting could never start because of no quorum;
56 (4) We could ignore GLEP 39, but that says that Gentoo uses written
57 policy only when we like the results;
58 (5) We could amend GLEP 39. Perhaps we should, but I am not sure we can
59 amend a policy to apply retroactively to a policy violation and keep a
60 straight face. And note that amending GLEP 39 is at least as hard as
61 just following Petteri's suggestion.
62 (6) We could recommend leniency in this case, but that might leave
63 Council in a rather delicate position when they get to the pending
64 appeals.
65 (7) Other more controversial possibilities that I can dream up but which
66 probably are best stillborn.
67
68 This leaves the subject of the non-meeting unresolved and also the
69 pending appeals. Probably we should hold the election quickly and pass
70 that on to the next Council, but I think we should hear from those who
71 have appeals pending on that. Thus, the CC, assuming email is being
72 forwarded correctly.
73
74 To avoid any confusion. I am speaking only as a developer and as a
75 requested participant in this meeting whenever or however it occurs. I
76 do NOT speak for Devrel on this matter, and I do NOT speak as a trustee
77 for the Foundation on this matter.
78
79 Regards,
80 Ferris
81 --
82 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
83 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)