From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:20:18
1 Team,
2
3 I'll stir the pot a little. No flames please, after all, we are just
4 brainstorming, or to be PC having an idea shower.
7 On 2011.08.14 12:06, Markos Chandras wrote:
8 > Hi all,
9 >
10 > This is the first of the items I would like to discuss for the next
11 > Council agenda (or a later one).
12 >
13 > Some time ago, few people proposed to have Council appointed leaders
14 > for QA and DevRel. I like the idea because this way the Council can
15 > ensure that the team is active or either force some activity in case
16 > the current leader slacks big time.
17
18 The concepts of appointing leaders and monitoring activity are not
19 linked. In my view a council appointed team lead is unlikely to do a
20 better job than one elected by the team. Choice of leader is therefore
21 no different to any other project.
22
23 Council may want to have some documented authority to take drastic
24 action in the case of slacking but that's separate again from
25 appointments and monitoring. Council would need to monitor to know
26 when drastic action was required.
27
28 In short, --Routine_Appointments, ++Monitoring ++AuthortyToAct
29
30 > Furthermore, right now there is the potential problem for the leader
31 > to only allow new members that he likes so they can vote for him on
32 > next elections.
33
34 We already have an appeal to council process that should be used. I've
35 formed the impression that these teams are as understaffed as any
36 other area of Gentoo, so no *competent* help should be refused.
37 How competent is judged needs to be documented by the teams - e.g. a
38 quiz and a practical under supervision before volunteers are turned
39 away.
40
41 > Membership and voting actions should not be related in these teams.
42 > The leader will still have control over the new members but Council
43 > will do the voting (community will provide feedback ofc )
44
45 What do you mean by control ?
46 >
47 > My proposal is:
48 >
49 > Devrel: 1 year term. Developers are nominated by others or they can
50 > self-nominated
51 Why do devrel members need to be developers?
52 Users with the correct skill set can do the job just as well, if they
53 are interested.
54 >
55 > QA: 6-month term. Developers are nominated by others or they can
56 > self-nominated
57 Why do QA members need to be developers?
58 Transparent competency is what counts in all areas of a volunteer
59 project.
60
61 With council monitoring, of the QA team there is no reason to have such
62 a short term.
65 > This is just a brainstorming so please let me know what you think.
66 >
67 > --
68 > Regards,
69 > Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2
72 Thats my three ha'porth.
75 Regards,
76
77 Roy Bamford