From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 19:12:45
1 On 18-03-27 11:38:22, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 > > I actually thought this too, but sadly its not in the Bylaws[1].
6 > >
7 > > Instead its just in some text about the Foundation[2].
8 > >
9 > > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Bylaws
10 > > [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Main_Page#
11 > > Trustee_Responsibilities
14 > Let me direct you to Article 5 ("Trustees"), Section 1 ("Powers"):
15 >
16 > "The business and affairs of the foundation shall be managed by or under
17 > the direction of the Board of Trustees, the "Trustees", which may exercise
18 > all such powers of the foundation and do all such lawful acts and things as
19 > are not by statute or by the Certificate of Incorporation or by these
20 > Bylaws specifically reserved to the members."
21 >
22 > ^^^^^^^
23 >
24 > I think I may need to insert some asterisks. The Trustees may exercise
25 > **all such powers of the foundation**. Which powers? **all powers**. What
26 > lawful acts, **all such lawful acts and things as are not by statute or by
27 > the Certificate of Incorporation or by these Bylaws specifically reserved
28 > for the members.** Let me clarify here that "statute" means "written law",
29 > so in other words, GLEP 37 is not a statute.
30 >
31 > What this means is that while a Council system exists, this is with the
32 > consent of the Trustees, and its existence does not in any way diminish the
33 > authority of the Trustees over the project.
34 >
35 > What the Trustees *cannot* do is ignore what is in the Bylaws, which means
36 > that they are elected by members, and that their positions have a term, etc.
37 >
38 > That's the law, folks.
41 I tried bringing that up a while ago (and people got all up in arms
42 about it). I suggest to people that wish to respond that they make a
43 thread specifically about who does what or has what power.
46 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)