From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 11:47:47
1 On 1 July 2013 12:36, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
3 > <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I wrote in a previous message that I would reconsider my position if the
6 >> amount of forked packages grew to unmanageable proportions. But until
7 >> then, if the kids cannot get along they shall play on separate playgrounds.
8 >
9 > As far as I'm concerned, kids who can't get along can go play
10 > someplace else. If you want your own apache ebuild that can't be
11 > touched by anybody but you, that's what overlays are for.
14 I have to agree with that. You can't compete with the other high-end distros
15 if you spend your (limited) manpower forking packages just because two (or more)
16 maintainers can't work together. If this keep happening then we are
17 doomed to always be
18 one step behind in user experience.
19 We may as well turn the whole packaging thing into an internal
20 competition. Whoever has the
21 prettiest ebuild wins a "Larry The Cow" t-shirt and a goodie bag :)
24 Regards,
25 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
26 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang