From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-10-08
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 19:21:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 11/02/2013 02:52 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > Council members,
6 >
7 > a policy was just pointed out to me on IRC today that I think we should
8 > look at changing with regard to how we are supposed to deal with live
9 > ebuilds.
10 >
11 > According to the dev manual, all live ebuilds are supposed to be put in
12 > package.mask [1]. The reality of the situation, however, is that we are
13 > mostly using empty keywords for live ebuilds.
14 >
15 > I think the policy of requiring package.mask for live ebuilds happened
16 > before the empty keywords option was available.
17 >
18 > Can we discuss and maybe vote on how we want live ebuilds in the tree? I
19 > see three possibilities:
20 >
21 > 1) empty keywords (this appears to be what most people are doing)
22 > 2) package.mask (not required, the way I see it, because of 1 and
23 > because package.mask shouldn't be permanent)
24 > 3) both package.mask and empty keywords (this would be double masking,
25 > and again shouldn't be necessary)
26 >
27 > Thoughts?
28
29 Personally, I prefer option 1. That said, there is a reason for Options
30 2 and 3.
31
32 When using a minor arch, a lot of packages are not keyworded for that
33 arch, which then requires me to install them with KEYWORDS="**" and that
34 pulls in live ebuilds all the time. Personally, I'm fine dealing with
35 things like that, but that would be a valid reason for requiring
36 package.mask. That said, if we want to persue that, I would say that we
37 should start adding keywords to live ebuilds (~arch obviously) and
38 p.mask them so we know what arches it is expected to work on.
42 > William
43 >
44 > [1]
45 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/cvs-sources/index.html