From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo Foundation - Treasurer Response!
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 13:08:28
1 On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 8:56 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Are you aware if the fee is going to be the same if we
4 > go for proper non-profit?
5
6 Do you mean 501c3 by "proper non-profit?" Or some other tax-exempt status?
7
8 I think most around here have abandoned all hope of ever running our
9 own 501c3. A number don't even think we should try, and a 501c3 is
10 hard enough to get approved if you have a professional board all
11 towing the party line. If you get people making public statements
12 like we ought to be a trade association (which is non-exempt) it would
13 be even harder.
14
15 However, I imagine most CPAs would charge more for a tax-exempt org as
16 there is MUCH more scrutiny on their operations. I'd also argue that
17 we would need to be spending more on compliance in general or
18 consulting ad-hoc with professionals to not run afoul of the law.
19
20 If you meant a non-profit that isn't tax-exempt then I don't see why
21 their fees would be any different, but there really isn't any big tax
22 benefit to Gentoo to having one status or another as far as I can
23 tell. The IRS taxes non-profits the same as for-profit companies if
24 they aren't tax-exempt. It is the exempt status that comes with all
25 the rules and scrutiny.
26
27 Usually in the US when people say "non-profit" they tend to mean a
28 tax-exempt status like 501c3, but these are of course not the only
29 sorts of non-profit companies. The US National Football League (the
30 kind where you usually don't hit the ball with your foot) is
31 non-profit, but definitely not tax-exempt, and I can only imagine what
32 their revenues are like.
35 Rich