From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 01:49:09
1 On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 8:35 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > You all are destroying Gentoo's roots...
4 >
5 > This is a very sad direction and trend. To have groups that are restricted to
6 > membership. That leads have to approve members, and creating silos within
7 > Gentoo. This will only make things worse, increase individual power, create
8 > further barriers, and make Gentoo a more restrictive vs open environment.
9 >
10 > Next will be restricting commit access to the Teams you are a member of and
11 > other horrible stuff.
14 I think you're drawing the trend line in the wrong direction.
15
16 Special projects like QA/Comrel have operated the way they have for
17 ages, certainly as long as I can remember. All writing a GLEP will do
18 is document how they're supposed to operate, and if anything we're
19 trying to make things more transparent than they already are.
20
21 And historically I'd say that projects and maintainers were a lot more
22 possessive of their packages in the past than they are today. The
23 general trend has been towards opening things up, with just the right
24 level of controls so that we maintain reasonable QA/etc.
25
26 If people really want to participate in QA/Comrel/Infra/etc, try
27 reaching out to the leads of these projects. I bet that they'd
28 probably find some way to get you involved. And if not by all means
29 mention it to a Council member. Heck, I know that when I'm unable to
30 make a Council meeting it isn't always easy to find a proxy, so if
31 somebody really would like to get more involved in that side of things
32 let me know and I'll see if it makes sense.
33
34 The intent here isn't to create exclusive clubs. It is just a
35 recognition that these bodies wield a lot of power and it needs to be
36 governed. We don't want random people adding themselves to the QA
37 alias and then going around proclaiming "QA says you must do this..."
38 Especially since policy is that when people do say things like that
39 you're supposed to take it up with the head of QA and not just ignore
40 them.
43 Rich