From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation: A second election
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 23:19:56
1 On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 7:04 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't believe it is permissible to appoint 'a cousin.' Trustees must
4 > be Gentoo Foundation members and probably also must be active
5 > developers (per section 5.2 of the bylaws.)
6
7 While I certainly don't advocate it, the Trustees can appoint anyone
8 they wish as a member. They don't need to be a developer. There is a
9 hoop for non-devs to jump through, but the Trustees are the sole judge
10 of whether the hoop was jumped through.
11
12 You need to be a developer to stand for election as a Trustee, not to
13 be a Trustee.
14
15 Like I said, I don't advocate for it, but in practice boards of
16 organizations tend to have quite a bit of leeway legally. This is why
17 it isn't great if nobody wants to be on them...
20 Rich