From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-core] Gentoo Code of Conduct
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 15:31:39
1 On 05/22/2013 04:48 PM, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > On 05/22/2013 04:25 PM, hasufell wrote:
3 >> That's why I explained what I meant in more detail. It's not about
4 >> establishing a happy environment, but a professionel environment. We
5 >> are not primarily devs to have fun alltogether and make friends and
6 >> buddies.
7 >> Ofc, if that comes with our work, then it's fine.
8 >
9 > You got your priorities wrong then.
10 >
11 > You must get along with people, "professional" means nothing.
14 Professional means to get along with people despite your personal
15 opinion/feelings about them, to point out their mistakes and to admit
16 your own mistakes.
17
18 So I think I got my priorities right.
19
20 >> In many professional environments yelling is the most efficient way to
21 >> prevent mistakes from happening again. It still does not imply insults
22 >> or disrespecting another person.
23 >
24 > Not productive, not nice, not here please.
27 I definitely made different experiences about that and I will continue
28 that behavior, because it does not collide with the code of conduct.
29
30 Example: when you break my ebuilds I will yell at you depending on how
31 severe that breakage is:
32 flaming/trolling? -- no, just being blunt and honest with you
33 Posting/participating only to incite drama or negativity? -- no, I'd PM
34 you anyway
35 Being judgmental, mean-spirited or insulting -- no, I'm only interested
36 in resolving the issue and to make sure it does not happen again
37 Constantly purveying misinformation -- unrelated
38
39 >> It's about making a lot of noise if something bad happened. And making
40 >> NO noise if nothing bad happened.
41 >> The latter is quite important too.
42 >
43 > Making noise just makes difficult to get any kind of signal.
46 FOSS does not work without noise, which just means pulling attention for
47 important problems and making people aware of their mistakes.
48
49 If you do not make noise, people will ignore the issue.
50
51 >> In the end it still does affect thousands(?) of users if we do stupid
52 >> things.
53 >
54 > Not really, we have layers of protection to avoid that. Being careful is
55 > what prevents us from impacting users, not being rude.
58 There is no layer of protection against eclass commits that break the tree.
59
60 If nobody yells when that happens, then it will happen again. And it does.
61
62 On 05/22/2013 05:10 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at