From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 17:11:31
1 Michael Orlitzky schrieb:
2 > Along with ACCEPT_LICENSE, the LICENSE variable affects which packages
3 > can and cannot be installed. You need a new revision so that users who
4 > already have the package installed will pick up the change. If the
5 > change makes a package violate a user's ACCEPT_LICENSE, they need to know.
6
7 I disagree. ACCEPT_LICENSE does not change the files which the ebuild
8 installs on the user's filesystem, nor does it interfere with subslot
9 dependency calculations like EAPI changes do. Therefore a new revision
10 is not needed.
11
12 > If you installed something whose EULA says it can hijack your webcam and
13 > post naked pictures of you to slashdot, but it incorrectly had
14 > LICENSE="GPL-2", wouldn't you want to find out that I corrected it?
15
16 That is the package manager's task. I do get reminded if a package which
17 I have installed is now masked by package.mask, maybe something like
18 this would work for licenses too.
21 Best regards,
22 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn