From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Making GLSAs useful for security
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 21:58:22
1 On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 4:43 PM, Yury German <blueknight@g.o> wrote:
2 > The problem with that is that a GLSA check will fail at that point, we
3 > can not also include the fix are (security project) in the fix section
4 > as we do not know what version will be final on stabilization. For
5 > example, if you look in Bug Tracker the bugs can go stable but to
6 > stabilize them will take a very long time. Sometimes it takes as long
7 > to stabilize them that a new version is out before the original is
8 > stabilized. (Just a note, not blaming the arches groups here, it is
9 > simple the way it is). What about the times that during stabilization
10 > a dependency is found and it takes a month or two to fix it? The GLSA
11 > goes out, it now tells the users to update to a version that does not
12 > exist.
13
14 You could send it out when the stablereq goes out. Then you know what
15 the stable target is. Presumably any newer version would also contain
16 the fix if for some reason it gets revbumped.
17
18 It probably wouldn't hurt to send out a notice at the end of the
19 deadline based upon the severity of the issue just to let people know
20 they're vulnerable. That is, if a vulnerability normally has a 3 day
21 target, then delay sending a notice until there is a stable request,
22 or until 3 days elapse, whichever comes first.
23
24 I feel like this is a contract with our users. If an issue allows
25 running code remotely as root if a system package is installed, we
26 promise to do something about it within a day. If for some reason we
27 can't actually fix the bug within a day, then the least we can do is
28 inform our users that we're breaking our promise.
29
30 Otherwise we're giving a false sense of security to our users. If we
31 can't actually uphold the targets in our vulnerability policy, then we
32 should change the targets to something we can uphold.
35 > It does sound good, but not practical as it will introduce confusion
36 > for the users especially those that do not constantly maintain their
37 > system and only update the security patches.
40 Well, I suppose users might be confused if they have a vulnerability
41 for a week or two with no sign of a fix. But, at least they'll know
42 their systems are vulnerable the entire time.
43
44 Is it really an improvement to just leave them in ignorance that
45 they're running software with a known vulnerability? Hey, at least
46 they won't be worried about it!
47
48 > Those users that have a practice of updating (world update) on a schedule
49 > (Weekly / Monthly) would receive the patches if the stable version is in the tree.
50
51 These users have no need for glsa-check or notices in the first place.
52 The whole point of those is to let you update security patches only
53 more frequently than other updates.
56 Rich