From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 21:52:34
1 On 2016.10.07 02:13, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Speaking of a conflict of interest, I would like to point out for
6 > the record
7 > > that devrel and userrel were aliased as "proctors" in previous
8 > > documentation.
11 > Actually, the Proctors were a third project distinct from Devrel and
12 > Userrel (though there was probably overlap in membership, etc). They
13 > lasted all of a few days. They were created along with the CoC and
14 > never really got to function as intended. They were intended to
15 > operate a bit like forum mods for the lists, locking discussions that
16 > were out of control, issuing short-term bans to try to discourage
17 > flaming, and so on. I was around when they were formed and disbanded,
18 > but I wasn't on the inside back then so I didn't appreciate the
19 > politics that caused them to fail. A few others who were around back
20 > then could better relay the story.
21 >
22 > The proctors were never intended to deal with serious complaints about
23 > individual behavior that might warrant kicking somebody out. There
24 > has been talk of trying to bring back the role, with the goal of
25 > trying to nip bad behavior in the bud before it grows into a big mess.
26 > If we went down that road then Proctors would have a lot less rigor in
27 > their activities, and could hand out "punishments" with almost no due
28 > process/etc, but the "punishments" would be things like a few days ban
29 > from IRC or other minimal sanctions, with a strict upper limit on
30 > their powers. Basically they'd be handing out slaps on the wrist.
31 > Issues that couldn't be handled in this way could be escalated to
32 > Comrel. The idea would be that when a problem starts they could
33 > quickly step in and moderate/warn/ban/etc to try to keep the overall
34 > tone of the channel/list/etc in line with the CoC, as opposed to what
35 > happens today where two parties can snipe at each other for months
36 > until both are screaming for blood.
37 >
38 > --
39 > Rich
44 Rich,
45
46 The term Proctor(s) is ambiguous in the history of the Gentoo and
47 the CoC.
48
49 In early versions of the CoC it clearly refers to userrel and devrel,
50 and anyone else charged with CoC enforcement.
51
52 The term was used concurrently as a name for the Proctors project
53
54 The CoC history can be found on sources.gentoo.org. As you say,
55 in GuideXML. The votes to approve the original CoC and changes are
56 mostly recorded in council meeting logs. Mostly, because its
57 difficult to compare the last CVS version and first wiki version.
58
59 We need to be very careful of not having "random edits" to the
60 CoC as its a document controlled by the council.
61
62 As a member of the original Proctors until the end, I can confirm that
63 most of what you say about the Proctors project is correct. I don't
64 think its useful to this discussion to go into the reasons for the
65 Proctors being wound up.
68 Regards,
69
70 Roy Bamford