From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Code of conduct
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 17:38:56
1 On 10/01/2013 01:07 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
2 > Mirror restricting something like sudo because of the optional and
3 > properly named offensive use flag is rediculous. Either this kind of
4 > thing is okay and it stays, or we won't allow it and the flag should be
5 > removed. Please, sanity first, mirror restricting something with
6 > offensive language just hurts user experience for the (in this case
7 > core) package.
8 >
9 > Thanks,
10 > Zero
13 We need USE=offensive for the linux kernel. I just grepped the source
14 tree for George Carlin's seven dirty words [1] and found three of seven
15 use liberally in there.
16
17 The point being that "dirty words" are not offensive in the right
18 context and have long been part of a comedy tradition. I don't want to
19 see Gentoo, or human society, sanitized of everything that might be
20 found offensive in some context in the name of protecting people's
21 sensibilities in all contexts.
22
23 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
27 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.