From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Council candidates: Future of the Foundation
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 16:33:27
1 On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 11:58:44 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:27 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 [...]
4 > IMO 501c3 is more in keeping with our community-based tone, but I
5 > started caring a lot less about this after the recent US tax changes
6 > which makes this status almost irrelevant to anybody who isn't a
7 > fairly large donor (the benefit applies if you cumulatively donate to
8 > a lot of orgs in general - not just a large donation to one org). I'm
9 > not sure that 501c6 really reflects where we want to be, but it might
10 > save us some tax dollars. I'd be interested in just how much it would
11 > actually save us though - it might make sense to just be a regular
12 > corp from an IRS standpoint (which is very little red tape if you pay
13 > your taxes, and it results in almost no restrictions on what you can
14 > do - corporations are people too after all...).
15
16 This is one more aspect to this: some companies double donations
17 for 501c3 organizations. A friend of mine works in a large
18 corporation with HQ is the US and told me that his employer doubles
19 any donations made to 501c3, so he made no donation for Gentoo,
20 because that will mean loosing money for community which otherwise
21 can be doubled. So it is likely that 501c3 will increase incoming
22 donations.
23
24 Best regards,
25 Andrew Savchenko