From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions to nominees
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 21:51:24
1 So...
2
3 > 1. Do you feel you have enough time to commit to serving as a Gentoo
4 > council member in the 2021/2022 term? Does your commit activity support
5 > this? If you served in 2020/2021, have you prepared for council meetings
6 > and finished all unfinished business for which you were responsible (as
7 > a council member)?
8
9 Short answer: Yes, yes, yes, yes.
10
11 Long answer: I may occasionally be quite busy outside Gentoo, but so far I've
12 always been able to make time for current council activities. In particular, I
13 do prepare meetings and read the relevant documents in advance, in order to be
14 able to efficiently make an informed discussion.
15
16 > 2. Project X and Project Y have irreconcilable differences, but you
17 > aren't involved with any of the projects. A crucial technical decision
18 > needs to be made. How will you react? Will you defer? Do you consider
19 > abstaining a viable option for the group of people making decisions as a
20 > last resort?
21
22 Short answer: I think the council should pick the best possible option.
23
24 Long answer: The important part is not just knowing technical details, but
25 also what procedures teams have and what drives people. Picking one way to go
26 over another one and thereby completely stopping the activity of one team is
27 not a good option. As I also write in my manifest, projects should ideally be
28 structured in a way that they don't block each others' progress. We should all
29 work to make such compromises possible.
30 That said, if a hard decision is really required, so be it.
31
32 > 3. Given your typical area of responsibility, how have you performed?
33
34 I'm leaving that to everyone else to figure out. That gives me more time to
35 version-bump dev-perl.
36
37 > 4. What positive change/idea/plan do you have for Gentoo that you would
38 > try to further (not necessarily as a council member)? By positive change
39 > I mean actually changing something concrete, not some diffuse notion of
40 > "improving how the council acts" or non-tangible deliverable.
41
42 Lots of ideas for things, but much less time. Let's instead list a few things
43 recently started and upcoming...
44 * risc-v support (already "in production")
45 * qemu-based stage building (already "in production")
46 * binhost project (stalled due to lack of time / low priority)
47 * council decisions index (low priority)
48 * switch from glibc[crypt] to libxcrypt (soon, in planning)
49
50 > 5. Do you think the council should be more agile - i.e. take decisions
51 > for the purpose of propelling Gentoo forward, rather than waiting for
52 > the decision to be made for it?
53
54 Yes.
55
56 > Would you consider a small number of
57 > departing views on the mailing list or IRC to be enough to derail a
58 > proposal?
59
60 No. For the simple reason that there is *always* someone who disagrees.
61
62 > When do you consider a controversial issue to have been
63 > discussed enough?
64
65 Well, at latest when only two or three "usual suspects" still reply on the
66 thread... :)
69 Cheers,
70 Andreas
75 Andreas K. Hüttel
76 dilfridge@g.o
77 Gentoo Linux developer
78 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)